Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Symphonies, Rock Stars, and Cable

Update Time! Here's a random splattering of events that have happened over the past few weeks...


... We took the After-School kids on a field trip on the 17th, to take a tour of the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall here in Baltimore. I had contacted and set up the trip, and I have to say, it went very well! The kids were well behaved and seemed to be paying attention to the tour guides. They loved the view from the highest balcony, and they especially liked singing out into the hall from the front of the stage. The trip turned out to be a nice way to expose them to a different side of music than what we've been doing week-in and week-out (mainly because I don't have a full orchestra at my disposal). Overall, a good time was had by all.


... I had mentioned the need for instruments in a previous blog post, and my good friend Brad met the challenge. He graciously donated an electric guitar and amp to the After-School kids, and it made it's debut this past Thursday. Oh. My. Goodness. The kids went wild! I could barely keep any semblance of order once I took this bad boy out and let them strum away on the strings. It didn't matter that not one actual note was played, and that the sounds they created reminded me of the Titanic scraping an iceberg- these kids loved experiencing the power and energy that can only come about through some good ol' rock 'n roll. Now that I have this guitar, I can start teaching some basic chords, notes, and scales- maybe we'll soon have the next Hendrix on our hands. From the kids...Thanks, Mr. Brad! You're the man!


... Much like the kids, my other good friend Zach is also trying to become a rock star. He and his band, the Zach Caruso Band (clever, I know) opened up for legendary guitarist Johnny A at the World Cafe Live in Philadelphia this past Saturday, and I was fortunate enough to make the trip up to see him. Mind you, Brad and I have been playing music with Zach since we were all starry-eyed rock dreamers playing in his basement, roundabout almost 10 years ago, so needless to say it was pretty cool to see him play his best on a big stage like WCL. His set was great, and he really captured the attention of the audience, as well as Johnny A himself. Hopefully this show will open some more opportunities for him! The Zach Caruso Band is currently in the studio recording a new album, so put that on your "To Buy" list once it comes out. Check out his sound here.


... Back in Baltimore, the housemates and I are eagerly awaiting the arrival of spring- we've got some big botanical plans for our backyard that we are excited to start. At work, Mr. Moore and I are making plans for the Comcast Cares Day on April 24th. The Comcast Corporation recently awarded St. Frances a sizable monetary grant, so the two communities are joining together for a day of service to commemorate this partnership. We've got plans to paint playgrounds and murals, do some trash pick-up, and plant and maintain some gardens. It should be a great way to kick off Spring and a day to revitalize the Johnston Square neighborhood. I'm looking forward to it.


... I'm also looking forward to spending the Easter holiday in DC with my family! Have a great Passover/Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment