Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Final Bell

Charcoal grills. Hot diggity-dogs and hamburgers. Popcorn and chips. Peanut butter Oreos (yea buddy!). In terms of "healthy choices," this menu failed miserably. But in terms of contributing to the growing feeling that summer is upon us and that Alice Cooper was right in one of those songs he sang, a cook-out with all the classic ingredients was the only way we could properly bring an end to the After School Program.

Ah, the After School Program. That time of the day at 2:30pm when I brought the bin of sports equipment into the gym and welcomed the kids into the building. Some days I was Joe Flacco, throwing tight spirals to my kindergarten-receivers. Other days I was much like a lamp post that can swing a jump rope as all the girls tried to see how many consecutive jumps they could do. And still other days I acted as the King of the Dodgeball Court, inflicting faux-terror in all the kids as I over exaggerated a wind-up, only to muster enough force on the ball to lightly graze a leg or two (well, most of the time). But every day I enjoyed the heck out of being essentially a 22-year old at recess.

Ah, the After School Program. Where I relearned all the skills from elementary school, like multiplication tables and Venn diagrams and what a prepostion is (the jury's still out on that one). Where I had to get creative to get the kids to do their homework- nothing beats a room full of kids chanting HOMEWORK! HOMEWORK! while they actually complete their assignments. Where impromptu attempts at the Thriller dance always got kids' attentions. And where I was thoroughly impressed at a certain 1st grader's improvement in reading since the beginning of the year.

The After School Program, where I received a crash course in "How To Teach If You've Never Done It Before" (I'm still waiting for my final grade). Where I discovered I had the chance to bring music into the lives of 30 schoolchildren, and at the same time educate myself on some things. Where I planned and successfully executed a field trip! Where frustration and impatience loomed daily. Where the physicality of Musical Chairs increased conversely to the number of chairs remaining in the game (I don't know if that's completely clear. What I'm trying to say is, the kids got more physical as less chairs were still in play). Where I realized that good teachers are perhaps the most valuable resource our nation has, and that they should be compensated as such.

Ah, the After School Program. At 5:30pm, when I stand at the door and wave goodbye to all the kiddies. When I sometimes walk two brothers to their front step, and the younger one "helps" me push my bike by hanging onto the handlebar. Where, at the end of the day, I am totally drained. Where, at 2:30pm the next day, I am full of energy.

Bye kids, see you in two weeks for Peace Camp!

No comments:

Post a Comment