Sunday, September 20, 2009

180 Years

First, let me share with you lyrics to the first song ever written by Mr. Scott & The After School Sillies...

The Weird Song

Verse:
Tape key doesn't paste school
Doll light sun moon rule
Boys closet girls shoe fool
Board move action movement cool

Chorus:
Love see have you run?
What look I what fun!

Verse:
Rain where color I'm red
Outfit pencil mall party bed
Marker tear paper erase head
Pencil markers cow love said

Chorus:
Love see have you run?
What look I what fun!

The Oblate Sisters of Providence 180th Anniversary Banquet occurred Friday night in the gym of the SFA Community Center. With a guest list hovering around 400 people, Mr. Moore certainly had his hands full, and since he refers to me as his right hand man, that must mean some fraction of my hands were full as well. Anytime Mr. Moore needed something done, it was "Scott, move this table," or "Scott, tape the floor down," or "Scott, tell me a funny story." I secretly think he loves my jokes.

When all the work was done and 6:00 rolled around, the gym looked immaculate and the guests looked quite dapper (Mom, you'd be proud- I even threw on a jacket and tie for the affair). My role during the actual event was to more or less direct people where to go, and to generally help Mr. Moore wherever he needed it. This enabled me to walk around and meet a lot of people, and I quite pleased with how good everyone looked- the sisters, friends and families, benefactors- everyone just looked so regal.

Soledad O'Brien, from a little news channel called CNN, was the keynote speaker, and boy was she DELIGHTFUL! Her mother graduated from SFA, and as a child she had a lot of contact with the sisters of OSP, and she was very comfortable and looked at home during the dinner. She spoke about how the education her mother received influenced the way in which she was raised, and furthermore how that comes out in the work she does. I thought it interesting that she considered her job- news casting- a form of service. Well go figure, Soledad, I too consider my job a form of service!

As Soledad spoke (very eloquently, I might add) I watched the faces of the sisters as they listened to her. I feel as if they were looking at their own daughter, not one of flesh and blood, but one born from their community, one that is truly representing the fruits of their 180 years of labor.

I then got to thinking about how long a time 180 years really is. How much has this small order of nuns endured over that time, to still be here today? Slavery, racism, wars, segregation- they dealt with it all, and are still kicking (especially that Sr. Gabriel- she's got a mean right foot!) Soledad said that her mother once told her, "People can't tell you what to do, only God can." The history of the Oblates is a prime example of that.

The evening culminated in a live auction to raise money for the sisters' convent building. Celebrity aprons were up for sale, and people were generous. Aprons designed by Larry King, Anderson Cooper, and Camille Cosby among others, all fetched sizable donations and I think the sisters were truly humbled by the amount of money raised.

All in all, a most enjoyable night, one in which I felt a part of the SFA community. Throughout the evening, the work of the sisters remained in the spotlight, which I feel was in direct contrast to how they live their lives. I would have liked to stay and help clean up, but the effects of a 14 hour work day were being felt by my tired old bones, and my dogs were barking.

I hope everyone had a delightful weekend. If you'll excuse me, my new favorite journalist is on CNN right now, and I promised I'd watch her. Don't start without me, Soledad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment